Hey there, cool gizmo. This is mobile version of my site. I’ll try to keep things quick and simple. If you want a more in depth experience, be sure to view this site on your desktop or tablet computer.
My name is Nicholas McGill.
I’m a creative, business geek, tech head, author, thrivalist, sherpa and adventurer extraordinaire. I am also the founder of the Heroik brand and several other companies you’ve probably read about.
My job is to work with clients to design and build growth engines and new revenue generators that shock and amaze customers – from thought to profit. I am an Experience Designer by trade – which is probably something you’ve never hear of, but basically, if you combined a marketing manager, senior technologist, product designer, brand manager, artist, engineer and sales guy all into one job role, you’d be close.
I run a business consultancy, an innovation lab, and lead a team of heroes who help businesses and leaders get Mission Ready For Life. Basically, I am a perpetual student and adventurer; always studying, experimenting and exploring – I’m constantly amazed by how stupid I was 2 weeks ago.
On this site you’ll find a bit about my story, work and life.
I have an incredible job. On the customer facing side as a Chief Experience Officer, I design the customer facing and team facing products, tools, as well as market and manage the various brands sub-brands, their stories, content, values, culture, and products/services. But even more specifically, the perception and focus on the individual user experience of each of them. I bring brands and ideas to life, from thought to profit.
Using my expertise in marketing the brand experience and lean technology platforms, I help transform departments, processes, productivity and performance. I bring the culture, team, and leadership into alignment, and create a personal connection to the brand. All of this requires a unique perspective and an interdisciplinary skill set to make it happen. Within organizations as a consultant, business geek, creative mind, complex problem solver and technology whiz kid, I build growth engines for business.
I am also charged with developing, exploring, refining, and documenting inspirational Heroik culture. As the Chief Cultural Officer for all things Heroik, my job doesn’t stop there. I am also responsible for inspiring others to get Heroik through leading by example.
I’m one of the lucky few people whose job and life purpose are in strong alignment. A big part of my job, and a big aspiration of my life is to be the most Heroik version of myself. So all of the effort and energy I put in (the pursuit of being a better man, husband, brother, son, best friend, leader, and business owner) directly maps to my bottom line. And I love that. Read more about my values here.
I live with my beautiful wife who indulges my mad scientist ways, 2 great dogs who side with her (all 3 prefer glamping to roughing it), and a cat who likes to sleep on me because I keep her warm. Read More
I am evermore the avid adventurer. I sample many things from life and enjoy hobbies like hiking, running, rucking, kayaking, camping, rock climbing, paddle boarding, light mountaineering; and just about anything I can do to enjoy open space. Venturing outdoors is my favorite form of therapy, it’s where I go to pray, reconnect, and journey inward. Check out a few photos here.
Refining Process, Products & Services
Content Strategy, Creation & Mastery
I’m also a WordPress pro and fanatic. I love the simple visual and communicative powers it gives the layman. Simply put, it’s an open market, and easy to learn platform that keeps you in control (not the designer). Check out Heroik Media’s approach to web design.
Leadership & Team Building
Skills – Overview
What I Use to Build Growth Engines
// Speaking // Writing // Marketing // Web Design // Copywriting // Graphic Design // Photography // Experience Design // Photo editing // Illustrating // Curating Elements in Alignment with Brand Values // Designing Team Building and Leadership Events // Leading Mud Runs, Rucks, and Adventures //
// WordPress // Photoshop // Illustrator // HTML // SQL // Google Apps // Dropbox // Windows // Mac OS // iOS // Android // Pebble // Fitbit // Firefox // Safari // Chrome //
Things I study and use to make it happen
// Consulting // Design // Art // Aesthetics // Storytelling – Dynamic, Visual, Verbal, Written // New Media // Information Technology // Leadership // Team Building // Culture Building // Change Management // Game Dynamics & Gamification // Behavioral Economics & The Art of Influence // Neuroscience // Data Science // Computer Science // Troubleshooting //
Consulting – Overview
I enjoy using my gifts and expertise with growth minded organizations. I’d love to work with you and your team. I’ve been a consultant, guide, and sherpa for 14 years. I’m thoroughly experienced in:
- Diagnosing and evaluating situations (especially those related to technology, culture, and customers)
- Developing creative solutions to solve business challenges
- Communicating and collaborating with teams, building them up, and empowering leadership
- Providing teams with proper tools, values, and Heroik culture
As a consultant, I offer multiple value based options for consulting engagements. These can be on and off site, advisory, consultative, and collaborative roles. From time to time I work in trade and/or barter, and volunteer 20% of my time for community projects.
Speaking – Overview
I enjoy speaking and collaborating with others. I love taking the “No Bull Rodeo” on tour and speak with honesty, authenticity, and humor on a number of topics including:
- How To Build And Manage a Thriving Business Culture With a Distributed Team
- The No Bull Rodeo: Marketing Edition – What Efforts Really Generate Returns?
- Digital Liquidity – Understanding The Flow And Value of Information in The Digital Age
- The Heroik Power of Headlines – Making Epic Content
- Becoming Heroik – A Guide to Thrivalism
- Mission Ready For Life – Please Swipe Our Culture
- Heroik Leadership – How to Build and Lead a Team in a Flat Organization
- Dig Life Design – How to Build an Empowering, Personal, Digital Lifestyle
I’ve spoken at many events large and small from Office Optional and the Lean Startup Series with Eric Reese, Vision to Victory, and occasionally I speak on tour with Bonnie Kelly. As often as I can spare, I enjoy speaking at schools to motivate children and teenagers. I enjoy the challenge of connecting with such tough crowds and seeing them light up with potential. Learn more about speaking gigs, rates, etc. here.
Values – Overview
As a leader and verbose author of a culture book, I spend a lot of time and have quite a bit to say about my personal values and how they’re integrated into my life and work. Click here to see them all.
In brief, some of the values that I practice, pursue and teach from include:
- Mission Ready For Life – This is my mantra. Cultivate that which serves you and eject that which does not
- Faith – Bring Your Own Bravery – Courage must come from within, you can’t outsource it
- Authenticity – Be comfortable being who you are, right where you are, and using what you’ve got
- Integrity – Consistency in word and deed
- Always carry a MAP – Mindfulness, Awareness and Presence
- Measure in terms of TEA – (Time, Effort, and Energy) – Where are you pouring your TEA?
- Practice Digital Liquidity – Be mindful of the factors that affect flow and value of information
- Freedom – The power or right to act, speak, think and live without hindrance or restraint, subjugation, oppression, codependence or dysfunction. Shackles come in all forms, which include contract terms and thought patterns
- Adaptability – Having a nimble mind and versatile skillest allows me to serve across disciplines and continue to thrive as things change
- Tenacity & Creative Grit – The honey badger is my spirit animal
- Discernment – Be discriminating, judicious, shrewd, clever, astute, sharp, selective, sophisticated, tasteful, sensitive and perceptive to nuance and detail. Exercising good judgement in grey areas
- Leadership – Leadership is about taking the influence gained from trust and respect that’s earned by serving others, and navigating to a declared objective that is in alignment with shared vision and values
- Stewardship & Quality of Life – It’s up to us to sustain the environment, community, and culture we advocate for and enjoy and want others to experience. Our job is to leave it better than we found it and build it better than we thought we could
Leadership & Team Building – Overview
There are leadership opportunities each and everyday in life and work, with family, friends, and co-workers. Each day provides an opportunity to serve, to eat last, and lead by example. Here are some of my leadership credentials and experiences:
- Honorary Command Chief – Beale Military Liaison Committee – US Air Force Honorary Commander Program 2014-Present
- Ignite Young Professional Leadership Council – Roseville Chamber of Commerce 2014-2015
- President of League of Extraordinary Businesses 2014-2015
- Innovator of the Year – League of Extraordinary Businesses (LOEB) 2013
- Ruck For the Fur – Team Command / Cadre / Course Director 2012
- Tough Mudder Team Captain 2012 Tahoe – Lead a team of newcomers on a 13+ mile adventure just to show them they could do it.
- Go Ruck Tough – GRC – Graduate Class #306-2012
- Tough Mudder Team Captain 2011 Squaw Valley (way past high camp). Named Toughest Tough Mudder of the year
- Heroik MBA 2011
- Distinguished Leadership Award – League of Extraordinary Businesses (LOEB) 2010
- Alumni National Youth Leadership Forum On Law – Washington DC 2000
Raising the Bar With MI-STEP
I’ve also worked with military members to create a leadership and teambuilding platform called MI-STEP. Using this platform, we’ve created special events, rucks, races, fitness and wellness programs, all in a positive and empowering spirit that brings people together, increases trust and awareness of what even the average Joe is capable of.
Credentials – Overview
- I’ve been working in the enterprise world for 14 years. I ain’t no rookie.
- I’ve worked as a technology consultant for over 10 years.
- I’ve worked in new media, communications and design for the last 7 years.
I’m a third generation entrepreneur and a bootstrapper. I’ve had an entrepreneurial mindset since grade school. I started my first business officially when I was 14 working as a PC technician. I’ve been working with powerful communicators since I was 17; working with lawyers, lobbyists, leaders and CEO’s.
As an IT consultant, I have worked with key leaders at Bechtel, and corporate officers in the Biofuel industry among many others. I later worked in Innovation Labs in the Silicon Valley with major brands like Yahoo and Google as a Senior Social Analyst and creative mind to help transform the culture and experience of the service and support departments. My primary focus was to help shape the customer success model, and the attitudes and software around it. You can read more about my credentials here.
I’ve worked with outstanding individuals, brands and organizations including:
I have been an Interdisciplinarian from day 1. I’ve excelled in divergent areas of study and used the experiences from each, to make unique contributions to each. I’ve also leveraged them to help pioneer new fields of study as well.
Early in my studies, I coined the phrase “Digital Liquidity.” Over the following decade, I developed that concept into a framework and methodology for studying the factors that affect the flow and value of information in the Digital Age.
These unique insights armed me with a unique lens on the world that made me a sought after commodity in multiple industries. I am an advocate of speed, simplicity, independence, control, mobility and tactility in digital paradigms. Essentially, I’ve translated what it means to have freedom in the digital age.
I also have my very own MBA.
Highlights from my MBA Experience
Real World Applications
Feel free to text me.